7 working days till 31st January 2017, which is HMRC's self assessment deadline
As of today there are only 7 working days till the 31st January 2017, which is HMRC's online self assessment deadline.
The submission of the personal income tax return and the payment of any tax and NI due for the period 6/4/15 to 5/4/16 is midnight 31/1/17. And anyone who has not yet had their tax return done and paid for should start to worry about the up to £1300 fine plus interest on late paid tax imposed by HMRC for missing the deadline.
The self assessment / personal tax return is required from the following types of people:
1. Self Employed (even partially) during the tax year 15/16 ie 6/4/15 to 5/4/16
2. Employed and earning over 100k for the year ended 5/4/16
3. Director or shareholder of a Company and taking dividends in the period as above
4. If you have received rental income in the period 6/4/15 to 5/4/16
5. You received savings and investments income in the period 6/4/15 to 5/4/16
6. You sold something and made a profit on the item, so are required to pay the Capital Gains Tax (CGT) eg selling shares, a property, an antique, Plant and Machinery etc
7. You have received income over £50,000 and you claimed Child Benefit
8. If you have not notified HMRC that you have left self employment and they have not confirmed that you do not need to do a 15/16 return
9. A letter / email / text from HMRC has been received by the tax payer advising them that they need to submit a tax return for the 15/16 year (note: only new registrants may get a reminder as HMRC expects old registrants to already know the deadlines and protocols required).
10. You received income from overseas
11. You lived abroad and had income from the UK
12. You are retired and receive more than one type of pension and annual income payment pushing you over the personal income allowance
13. You have had a P800 from HMRC saying you have not paid enough tax in the year
14. You are minister of religion or and Underwriter
15 Even if a person has died they may still need to submit a tax return to make sure they have paid the correct tax and those that receive an inheritance may need to pay for Inheritance Tax (HMRC will advise further).
16. If you have received a P11d and not paid the correct tax for the benefit in kind eg company car, private medical, gym, travel etc
So if you haven't already had your tax return done and still need to send / drop in your income and expenses information, please take heed of this final reminder.
Those that have handed in their information we will make sure it is done before the deadline. We can even have your deadline extended in some cases as we are registered authorised agents for HMRC.
And if your thinking of using an accountant, note, that not all accountants are the same. We recommend you use an expert in tax so he/she saves you far more in tax than you ever have to pay them for their service.
With fines up to £1300 plus interest on the amount of tax due. In some cases penalties are greater than the tax that would have been due. So don't delay as you have no time left and most excuses and appeals are rejected by HMRC after a penalty has been imposed.
By Anni Khan at Tax Affinity Accountants
Tax Affinity Accountants are experts in Tax and Accountancy. Based in Worcester Park and Kingston upon Thames they are considered in the Industry to be expert accountants and tax advisors for small businesses. Helping and supporting business throughout the UK, they regularly help clients grow their business providing tailored advice.
For more information visit www.taxaffinity.com. To read more interesting articles like this visit www.taxaffinity.com/blog. Please feel free to comment and share this with your friends.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
Our experienced accountants and tax advisers provide valuable insights into practical every day questions and issues.
Add blog to our blog directory.
Ask your own question: If you would like to have a tax related question answered here, please send your question to email@example.com.